2009-09-06

Today I got up and went to Code Camp 2009, put on by Captial City .NET User Group.  I went last year and enjoyed seeing what other technologists are doing.  I got there at about 7:30a and stayed through 2pm.  I checked out the following sessions:

  • Delegates, Lambda’s, and Expressions (Oh My!)
  • SOLID Principles
  • The wonderful world of Generics, and Reflection
  • Persisting Data with NHibernate
It's a very impressive event.  I think there were almost 200 attendees, it's 100% free and put on by volunteers!  They have free breakfast and lunch, and give away killer schwag!  I answered a question in the first session and got a book!  (MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit:Exam 70-562)

The .NET user group meets the first Thursday of the month.  I'm trying to get our condo association to change the monthly meeting day so I can attend the user group meetings.

I talked to a bunch of participants, some I have known for a while, others I see at places like the gym.  I also ran into a few guys who work at the company I'll be starting with soon.  One approached me and asked a question related to a session we were in.  When we started talking, it ends up he works where I'm going.  Very nice guy.  Not a single person from my previous employer attended.

We had dinner plans with some friends to go to Liam's in Thomasville.  Grandma and Grandpa watched Robert for us.  I won't go into a long diatribe about how Rachael and I don't really drink much wine or eat super fancy cheese.  So I'll keep things simple:
  • Liked a couple of the cheeses (one smelled like dirty feet)
  • Most of the food was fantastic (less bold than flavors Rachael and I do at home, but great food)
  • Wine was all really good
  • Desert rocked
  • Company was the best part ...

0 comments: